The first clear and faithful guide to the timeless, practical teachings of the Stoic philosopher Seneca.
Stoicism, the most influential philosophy of the Roman Empire, offers refreshingly modern ways to strengthen our inner character in the face of an unpredictable world. Widely recognized as the most talented and humane writer of the Stoic tradition, Seneca teaches us to live with freedom and purpose. His most enduring work, over a hundred “Letters from a Stoic” written to a close friend, explains how to handle adversity; overcome grief, anxiety, and anger; transform setbacks into opportunities for growth; and recognize the true nature of friendship.
In Breakfast with Seneca, philosopher David Fideler mines Seneca’s classic works in a series of focused chapters, clearly explaining Seneca’s ideas without oversimplifying them. Best enjoyed as a daily ritual, like an energizing cup of coffee, Seneca’s wisdom provides us with a steady stream of time-tested advice about the human condition—which, as it turns out, hasn’t changed much over the past two thousand years.
Introduction: A Life That Is Truly Worth Living
1. The Lost Art of Friendship
2. Value Your Time: Don’t Postpone Living
3. How to Overcome Worry and Anxiety
4. The Problem with Anger
5. Wherever You Go, There You Are: You Can’t Escape Yourself
6. How to Tame Adversity
7. Why You Should Never Complain
8. The Battle against Fortune: How to Survive Poverty and Extreme Wealth
9. Vicious Crowds and the Ties That Bind
10. How to Be Authentic and Contribute to Society
11. Living Fully Regardless of Death
12. Give Grief Its Due
13. Love and Gratitude
14. Freedom, Tranquility, and Lasting Joy
Appendix: Stoic Philosophical Exercises
David Fideler is a writer, philosopher, and the editor of the Stoic Insights website. Born in the United States, he currently lives in Sarajevo with his wife and son, where he still enjoys his breakfasts with Seneca.